Oncology is the study and treatment of cancer. When patients are diagnosed with cancer they are referred to an oncologist or a cancer specialist, who develops a plan of treatment. That treatment may include chemotherapy, surgery and radiation. The goal of cancer treatment is to remove the cancer or to limit its spread to other parts of the body. Western medicine has demonstrated great advances in fighting cancer, both in curing patients and in extending the life of patients with the advanced disease.
Often a patient with cancer needs more than surgery, radiation and chemotherapy to maximize the chances of survival and to improve the quality of life. We find that other therapies, such as those that reduce stress, control pain, and offer support for the person undergoing treatment, are important complements to a traditional treatment. The Center for Integrative Medicine designs an integrative program of care for cancer patients that works hand-in-hand with a traditional medical treatment and enhances the patient’s wellness.
After seeing thousands of patients with cancer we developed a comprehensive program that aims at not only supporting patients through standard oncology treatments, which are often exhausting, but also at improving the treatments’ efficacy through evidence-based metabolic treatments such as those listed below.
Even for patients who have completed their cancer treatment, whether they achieved remission or not, the modalities of the Center’s integrative care plan can help restore a sense of control and quality of their lives.
Specifically, we offer the following treatments for cancer:
- New: European Mistletoe Injections are offered
- Acupuncture for cancer-related symptoms such as nausea, weight loss, energy loss, insomnia, and pain with Tiffany Hoyt, LAc, Angela Gabriel, LAc and Deirdre Orceyre, ND, LAc;
- Metabolic cancer treatments that utilize:
- Naturopathic consultations with Dr. Deirdre Orceyre, who specializes in Integrative Oncology and works part-time at the GW Breast Cancer Center
- Nutritional consultation with naturopathic doctors or our nutritionists
- Massage with Jeffrey Edwards, LMT;
- Psychological support on individual or group basis;
- Reiki – gentle energy healing modality – with our Reiki Master Luann Jacobs;
- Mind-based approaches, individually or in a group settings, such as MBSR – Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program, Yoga, Hypnotherapy.